Stephen has a meeting in Charleston this week, so I have been lounging at the ocean. Our condo is 100 feet from the ocean... there is nothing like falling asleep to the sound of the waves.
We are headed into Charleston to do some site seeing. Fort Sumpter is on our list. That is where the first shots were fired that began the Civil War. Over a period of 4 years, it was one of the most sought after Fort's because of it's location to control the comings and goings of ships. It had a unique strategic location.
Over the course of 2 years, over 46,000 shots were fired on the fort. The confederates took it from the yankees and held onto it for the 4 years. I'm excited to see some of the Antebellem plantations (pre-civil war). Some of these plantations have 4,000 acres... I would hate to be in charge of weeding that property. Growing up we had 500 acres and that was plenty!
I will download some pictures of our trip when we get back. I tried to but the laptop doesn't have the right softward ;(
No comments:
Post a Comment