Monday, May 18, 2009

Hampsey's Gift of Life


Last year, at the coxing of our daughter we got a cute dwarf hamster affectionally named "Hampsey". She has brought so much joy into our family, especially Madeline.

We would be outside and Madeline would say in a sweet voice, "Harry, I think we should make some seed patties for our friends lunch". She had taken on Hampsey's imagination and would imagine all these grand adventures for her.

I was snuggling in bed with Madeline and "Hampsey" (aka Madeline) would say "Harry, the humans are gone so let's pull out the disco ball in my sleeping hut, music please!) You couldn't help but laugh and be in wonder of the adventures of Hampsey and Harry through my daughter's eyes.

Well, this last week Hampsey got sick so I took her to two vets but she kept pulling her stitches out and was getting sicker so I had to make the heart agonizing decision to have her put down. Oh, this was one of the hardest decisions to make. This was our sweet pet who had filled each day with adventures while she was rolling around in her pink ball, or taking her outside to greet the kids from the bus and letting her run around in the grass.

Hampsey had such a love for life and adventure. As I am writing this there are still tears of sadness rolling down my cheeks as I think of our sweet Hampsey. May heaven be big enough for the adventures that Hampsey holds dear. We will always love you!

No comments: