I love ONIONS! My dad is proud to know that. As a kid, however, I was not so fond of onions. Probably because we spent hours weeding them. At 6 a.m., on a beautiful summer morning, my sisters and I would hear a call up the stairs, "girls!" "Girls! It's time to get up! "
mom would always fix an amazing breakfast. the smell of bacon was my weakness. once i ate a whole package of bacon, all by myself! so we could get a hearty breakfast of pancakes, hashbrowns, bacon, orange juice, and eggs (i didn't like eggs growing up).
With our tummies full, we were off to the fields for a couple hours. Make sure you have your water jug, because the ditch water was not as tasty as it looked. My sisters and I would spend a lot of the weeding time talking about what we would buy with our hard earned money. although, at $2 an hour for weeding it would take a while to buy many clothes. it was always a treat, to go to town and look at the "farm store" where we could put clothes on lay-away and slowly make payments for our clothes. it was an awesome day, when we had our final payment and we could take the much anticipated clothes home.
maybe next year I should loan my kids out to work on a farm out by my parents. jacob saved up some money last spring for a much anticipated Lego claw tank. so maybe he gets the idea of delayed gratification.
No comments:
Post a Comment