Sunday, May 25, 2008

New York

Here is the skyline of New York City from across harbor on the ferry. We got on the ferry on the New Jersey side and went to Ellis Island and then Liberty Island to see "the Lady". We broke the rules and rode the ferry to New York instead of back to New Jersey. All was well until we were talking to a guy on the subway around 3pm. We mentioned that our car was parked on the New Jersey side and he was very concerned. He told is to take the subway straight to the car and move it or we would be in danger. Well, of course to hear a New Yorker say to an Idahoan that you were going to be in danger was a huge concern.

So we talked to a police officer in the subway station and he said that we should be safe and to not worry. Well, worry is Tonya's middle name so I needed to get another police officers opinion. The next officer thought we should be safe but gave us direction back to New Jersey when we returned to our car.

We wanted to understand how to get back to our car and what subway to take and all that so I could enjoy the rest of our quick 7 hours in New York. Well, we tried to ask another police man in the subway but he needed to arrest a guy so we let him.

Needless to say at 8pm we were ready to head back to our car. So we took the subway west to New Jersey. We were chatting is up with the other subway riders and getting advice as to which train to ride next. Everyone is New York was VERY nice. I was pleasantly surprised. I had been warned ahead of time to not look anyone in the eyes and keep looking down. Well, I just have a hard time doing that and not looking and smiling to everyone.

We asked over 30 people direction, no kidding, and everyone was helpful. No one said I'm too busy, or I'm not going to help, I was very impressed. Okay, back to the finding our rental car story. So we were chatting it up on the subway and it came to a halt. The subway worker got on the intercom and said we have a problem but will be up and running in a few minutes. Well, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes goes by. The guy by us starting cursing like you would not believe. I got a little worried when he started saying to his buddy, who had a shirt on that said, don't date a slut, that there was going to be a fight. But it was cool! So we finally get off the subway and it is dark. So we have to figure out how to buy a ticket for the train and which train to get one. Again, everyone helpful and we made it back to the Statute of Liberty park. I asked a business guy how we get to the parking lot where our car is and he said "I don't know but if you get lost here is my cell phone number". We ask another police offer how to find our car and he points to the east and says walk that way for a mile. I ask if it is safe and he said yes if you go east, but don't go west. So we walk through a dimly lit park through New Jersey, at 9 pm totally dark, with me constantly sweeping the sidewalk in all directions. OH, I had to go to the bathroom sooooo bad but we made it too our cute convertible and all was well!
This sculpture was in the World Trade Center and was salvaged to put in Battery Park where you get off the ferry.
Times Square, wow!
Grand Central Station was so cool. There are constellations painted on the ceiling and people going everywhere to catch the subway. We were here at 5:30 pm so in the middle of rush hour.

2 comments:

steph said...

Tonya - It was so good to see you today! I went right home and looked up your blot and put it on my favorites. Not to say I will get the chance to look (or write in my own) very often but it will be fun to keep up a little on what is going on with you and your cute family. Your trip to PA and NY looks amazing! Someday I will get back east. :) Anyway, I hope we can get the boys together soon. Stephanie

steph said...

Oh and I LOVE what Jacob said about .com... SO CUTE!